Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Scan-tabulous!!!

Last week, we headed to San Francisco for scans.  The drive there was gorgeous!  The weather was fantastic and there wasn't a cloud in the sky!  We drove right to the hospital where I had a CT.  Usually when I go I have a PET Scan first, which lasts about 2 hours, and then a CT. Because my last scans were so fantabulous, I didn't have to have the PET.  I have come to the realization that CT's are actually pretty great.  You walk  in, get an IV and some contrast and then they shoot you through the scan in about three minutes.  Let me tell you that I have come to love the CT scanner after having to do about every other scan known to man kind.

After the scan we walked right up to the UCSF Pediatric Cancer Clinic, where the amazing Dr. Rob Goldsby is located. (Here's a little side note:  Dr. Goldsby's mom is a character actress.  She has played in movies such as Joe Dirt, The Wedding Singer, Red Eye and was the little old granny who got it on with Stiffler in the closet in American Wedding.  Crazy, huh?!?!)  Anyway, we got the results about 30 minutes after the scan and discussed the results with Goldsby, aka "Homeboy".  He told us that the spots in my neck have not done anything for almost 2 years.  There was no change, no nothing!!!  He proceeded to tell us that I didn't have to come back for one whole year.  He looked my right in the eyes and told me that I was a walking miracle, that at a medical standpoint, I shouldn't even be here.  He said he brings my case up to other doctors because he can't believe the progress that I have made.  At that moment, my eyes welled up and my heart was full of gratitude.  Gratitude for my Heavenly Father, the Savior, my family and especially Dr. Goldsby.

 I know that Heavenly Father has been there with me since the beginning. I feel his love and presence with me everyt single day.  He is the one to get me where I'm at today.  I had heard people say the word "miracle" to me before, but it wasn't until I heard it from my Bishop and my doctor, that I actually believed it.  

I am so grateful for all of my family and friends.  This journey has been a long one, and at times I never thought that I would make it this far.  But because of all of you and the faith that I have in my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, I am here today.  I may not be totally cancer-free, but I have learned that you can live a long, healthy life with cancer.  And that is what I intend to do.

7 comments:

Jen Johnson said...

I can not tell you how happy I am to hear all that! You are a miracle and you are such an example of great faith! I love you Meagan!

Teah said...

That is so awesome!! You are seriously amazing and I'm glad to know you!

Johnsons Away said...

I am just so excited for you and can't tell you how much I love you.
That is just the best news I
ve heard in a long time, you are a miracle and an amazing person. I'm so glad you are a part of our family. My brother is very lucky to have you :)
By the way where did you get those glasses and I love your hair, it is getting so long :)

Mallory said...

Meagan you are amazing! We're so glad you're a miracle (otherwise we'd be down one ultra-cool set of couple friends). I am so happy that things are the way they are for you. Even though I haven't known you since the beginning of your diagnosis, your attitude and mentality have really inspired me to trust Heavenly Father more and remember that he has a plan for us all. I love you, and your cute little family.

Taneil said...

That is such great new! You deserve this blessing.

Karrasch Clique said...

Meagan~ You have always been amazing! I am so excited for you and for your family. You truly are an example of great faith in our father in heaven! You ROCK!!!

Merridy and Lucas said...

your little boy is the perfect mix of the two of you...precious! I'm glad to hear you are a doing so well!!!!!
love
me



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

:)

Web Site Counters