Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Night in Bulgaria

Tonight was a first for me. Mike and I went over to Hacho and Faye's house for a nice Bulgarian feast. Hacho is from Bulgaria and Faye served her mission there (For all of those who don't know, Mike served his mission in Bulgaria too). So they decided that we would have a night filled with different Bulgarian cuisines. I do have to start out by saying that Hacho is quite the chef. He knows all the tricks of the trade and is fun to watch in the kitchen. The first item on the list was Moosaka. I thought that it was a lot like stew until I saw what the topping was. Moosaka is potatoes, ground beef, onions and tomatoes all sauteed together and spiced up with many different types of spices. Then you put a topping on it which consists of eggs, flour and yogurt. Sounds crazy right!?!? Then it is baked and ready to enjoy. I was nervous at first to have it, but it was actually quite wonderful. Yogurt in Bulgaria is very different then the yogurt that we have here. It tastes very salty. The next item we had was Tarator. It is sort of like a cold soup. It consists mainly of grated cucumbers in a yogurt type soup. You then flavor it with garlic, dill, vinegar and walnuts. It too was very tasty. The last thing that we had was my favorite, Shopska Salata. All it is is chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers and green onions topped with feta cheese, oil and vinegar. It is so yummy!!!

We had a great night with some great friends. We finished the night of by talking and looking at old mission photos and having fabulous walnut cookies. It has been so nice being able to hang out with Hacho and Faye and learn more about the Bulgarian culture. Mike and I cannot wait until the day that we will be able to go back there. I personally can't wait to meet the people that my husband was able to share the gospel with. The gospel is amazing and it is wonderful for how it brings so many people together. Thank you Hacho and Faye for the wonderful evening!!!
(Sorry, I forgot to take any pictures! I am a total goober!)

8 comments:

Taneil said...

Hey Mike and Meagan!
I am glad you guys have a blog so I can see what you guys are up to! I haven't seen you forever!

Taneil Hunter

Hunt Family said...

What a fun night. You will have to get a couple of those recipes for me so I can give them to a lady here in our ward. Her son is currently serving in the exact same mission Mike was in. I am really glad that Mike was able to experience some of the culture that he grew to love. That is one of the downsides to serving a mission outside of the U.S. You get introduced to a people and culture and then rarely get the chance to ever revisit.

Johnsons Away said...

That really sounds like a great night. I would also like some of those recipes, they really sounded good. That is so great that you guys have become good friends. I know how much you and Mike would love to go back. But this is really close and alot cheaper :)
Love you guys.

Davo said...

Hey guys, glad you are having fun! Tell Hacho (if that is the guy from the party) that I really enjoyed our conversasion and to bring me back an AK-47. Peace

Amber said...

Hey you guys! It's so good to here from you! We are going into the hospital today to have the baby and we are going to name her Megan! We love the name and neither of us have ever known a Megan that we didn't like! Thanks for getting in touch! Take care!
Love,
Amber Johnson

Teah said...

Hi Mike and Meagan! It's so good to hear from you guys and we can't wait to see some pictures. I love the look of your blog. We have 1 more year of dental school and then 2 years of a pediatric residency but after that we are thinking of moving back to Reno. We just love it up there.

Cedric Anderson said...

Hey Meagan,
Thanks for the comment, it's good to hear from you. I see you guys are doing well in Sparks and i assume you're surviving the 2nd Ward. I'll link you guys to the blog so I can check up on you from time to time. Later,
Cedric

Merridy and Lucas said...

yeah meagan! I'll be watching!



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

:)

Web Site Counters